Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lock in Port Mac 2010 please Eddy!

Well, with indecision poorly disguised as a trippy 'let the cosmos decide' attitude, it is with great trepidation that I publicly acknowledge the fact that I intend to attempt to complete Port Macquarie Ironman 2010. If only I could disguise the lack of true commitment in that sentence.
Santa is going to have to take those presents back to the shop and get a refund so I can afford the insane entry fee. With '16 weeks to go' being the catch-cry amongst training circles, the knot firmly lodged deep in my innards is beginning to make its presence felt. With any luck it may serve to motivate me to get out and log some quality kms.

From Port Half to now...

I have recovered from the ITB-related knee injury to be able to get right back into running relatively niggle-free. Finally managing a decent run this weekend gone with fellow BMMC associates. Mr and Mrs Sleep Train, Prince and Princess Donga, The Animal, The Welsh Exchange Student, Scam Bullant and Myself ventured down off the escarpment to run along some spectacular coastal Royal NP between Otford and Bundeena. This was Fat Ass run that is a must have on the calendar. I thoroughly enjoyed the run, including the struggle through the last 5 Kms. Some light reading of 'Born to Run' in the back of Prince Donga's car back to Otford ended in me borrowing (more accurately a re-borrow) the book and finishing it last night. If you haven't read it, look it up and give it a read, I really enjoyed it.

The swimming has been on the back burner and the riding has been sporadic at best. Getting some solid ride-run bricks going consistently, which is one big aspect of the triathlon that needs some work for me. At the moment I'm just keen to get some Ks back into my legs running, and return to the level of strength and fitness I was before being knocked around by the knee injury. I guess it was a necessary but hard lesson that needed learning: listen to your body and protect your joints. Some may disagree with me, but a missed session allowing you to recover is much better long term. Similarly, providing sufficient time to rest and heal has to be far better than repeated partial returns to training followed by repeated injuries. Either way, my focus now is prevention and correction. Both riding and running techniques need to improve, and there isn't much point persevering with huge kilometerage (if Scam can do it...) when the technique is still holding you back.

With this in mind the focus is on augmenting the training with some core strength work and flexibility work to help with getting my posture and action right on the bike and on the run. Hope it works!

'Born to Run' has inspired me to get out on the trails and soak up some of that running spirit and get back to basics. The run this morning had me a little chattier than usual, and possibly for the same reason a little stronger up the hill. Learning why we enjoy running and remembering this seems to be the key for most of the incredibly quick ultra runners out there. If thats all there is to it... sweet! I suspect a dose of bloody hard work goes a long way. But at the very least, hard work is all the more easier when you enjoy it.

Looking forward to the Inaugural BMMC Christmas Party on the 20th and the handicap run.
Looking forward to some impressive results for fellow BMMC associates in some up-coming races.
Looking forward to early mornings and a constant feeling of fatigue...

No comments:

Post a Comment