Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Willy to Billy Debut Complete.
Surprisingly felt good for a 35km run. My pace wasn't quick, coming in a tad over 3 hrs. In typical DrPhil style of coming so close to goal time yet missing.

The course was much easier than I anticipated, the final climb being very runnable. I had held back quite a bit throughout the first stages, so that I was ready for the climb. I could have possibly given more earlier and still been ok up the hill. Problems I had included a recurrent stitch, mainly affected me on the flat to slight decline sections, where I would have liked to stretch out a little. Probably need to get used to faster leg speed. Some blisters appeared mid way, which meant the downhill section was slow going. Hydration was only a little problematic, taking the time to get in enough fluids at the aid station was frustrating as what little gains I made between the stations were lost. This was more apparent on the final climb. Some chafing under the arms was more of a nuisance than anything - I had to run with my elbows sticking out.

Lessons learnt: strap your feet to prevent blisters, don't wear a singlet stick to short sleeves, get a water belt and get used to running with it, do some track work to get the leg speed quicker, back yourself in the final stages and give a little more early on.

Was able to get a ride in on the Sunday, the Yarramundi loop cut short due to road closure. A good one for the legs anyway.

Missed the Monday morning ride with Kiwi and Animal - happening far too frequently. Now 2 separate alarms to wake me up.

Managed to wake up Tuesday and get a run in with ST. Didn't get blown away.

Early nights are now mandatory so that I can get back into the early morning routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment