Monday, May 11, 2009

Countdown to NF100. What have I got myself into?
Well, after falling victim to the hazards of purchasing shoes online, I have now only 2 days to wear my new trail running shoes in. They will hopefully arrive tomorrow express post. Which gives a small easy run on Wednesday and again on Friday just to keep the joints loose and give the shoes a few kms. Some discussion has been had about the merit of wearing my zoot triathlon racing flats on the NF course! Whilst far from perfect they may be the lesser of many evils when it comes to running on the day. We will see.
Not entirely sure whether my preparation has been sufficient for the NF100. Whilst I am only running half (as yet undecided about which half), it is the furthest I will have run in a race by between 24 and 32 km (and about 16-20km longer than I have ever run).

This week just gone:
Tuesday morning run with BMMC. Enjoyed pushing the last stretch from the top of Sun Valley with Animal.
Wednesday morning saw Mick and Me heading out on an attempt of Legs 5 and 6 of the NF track. From Katoomba Falls oval down into Jamison Valley, up Kedumba Pass and back around to Fairmont Resort via the under cliff track. Despite dropping behind Mick coming up Kedumba, I was impressed and just a little self-congratulatory over my effort to keep running the whole way up. Excluding a brief pause where I had to take a call on the mobile, but that doesn't count as it wasn't due to fatigue that I stopped. Heading back to Leura was a different story, but made it back in 3hr38min total time.

Wed night was a late affair in the city to watch the Banff Mountain Film Festival. Unfortunately the days efforts, left me in a sorry state come Thursday morning, leaving Scam and Animal to make conversation themselves.

Sat morning was the weekend "long" run with BMMC. Like how I used quotation marks around "long" as if to imply that 28km (generous estimate) isn't long? Well, I'm simply trying to prepare myself for Saturday, so if I convince myself that 28km isn't that long then maybe 54km wont feel so bad. I'm not becoming an endurance running snob who looks down his nose at anything under 50km. One day perhaps!

Sunday was a rest day, missing an opportunity to go for a swim due to Mother's Day commitments. Made it to the pool Monday night for an easy 2.75km swim. Definately felt slow next to the squad lane with young fit girls smashing me each lap.

Hopefully will inspect Nelly's Glen on Wednesday.

This week: Run 71km, Ride ~30km, Swim 2.75km

1 comment:

  1. All the best with tomorrow. Will be up round course to grab some photos. You ahve plenty of running in your legs for this one, just remember that in traiing you can afford to blow on the hills but in the race it is how quickly you get to the top and keep going not how fast you reach the halfway pt of the climb.

    Give it to Kedumba for me tomorrow would you.

    ReplyDelete