Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Port HIM fast approaching...

I am slowly and painfully learning what is required for training for a specific event, something I don't think I have ever done in my life. Albeit, this event is something I would never have thought I would ever need to be training for. At the end of the day, you do what you can in the time you have, and if you are persistent you will see improvement.

I am a little apprehensive about the half (I haven't even begun preparing myself for the full, one mistake at a time), and I am aware that I probably shouldn't build it up in my mind too much, else be bitterly disappointed. I think the training is going OK. However, compared to some other individuals I have the pleasure of being able to train with, there is training and then there is TRAINING.

The saturday before last, I managed to survive (only barely) a ride with The Animal (aka Running Man of Blaxland - follow link to latest blog in the BMMC collection). About 150km or so all up, the computer died when the flat tyre was fixed at 114km. This left me positively wasted for the next few days, which was spent mostly eating carbs and watching TV.
Did manage some cross training on Sunday with a touch of rock climbing at Clarence Dam with the bro and a mate. Was thoroughly embarrased by a couple of fit rock climbing ladies, who had to explain what it means to "second" and "clean" a route, and demonstrate how to tie a figure 8.

Monday and Tuesday were days off. These were genuine days off, unlike the "day off" theory Sleep Train subscribes to.

Wednesday saw plans of a Day from Hell downgraded to a day of leisure on the outskirts of hell, staying well away from the city centre. Managed a reasonable swim in the morning, followed by an easy ride-run session with the sis (~30km on the bike and 5km round the trails at the folks house). Wed PM was a 6km warm up from Glenbrook Oval to the causeway and back, followed by a shortened interval session of ~4km.

Thursday AM run was missed as Mr Donges and myself arranged to pick James (aka Baz, aka ShitKicker - who now needs a more creative and more child friendly nick name) up from the airport, after his 9 month training camp in the welsh countryside. He has returned to the home of the BMMC for some intensive training and coaching in the lead up to Perth for the ITU World Long Course Championships in a month. Thursday PM was a run around the Tues AM S/Valley loop at the request of the Welshman who wanted to run some hills.

Friday PM was a swim. This was also the first training session missed by James.

Sat AM was a leisurely ride down to the river and back with Mr Donges and Thomo, yet to be convinced of the benefits of physical exercise outside of sitting in a Kayak. Sat arvo was a run from Woodford down to Bedford Creek and up Anderson's for a bit before turning around. Over 3 hours total time, about 25km covered, so nice pace with plenty of breaks.

Sun AM was a good little hit out with James on the bike, heading down to the M7 and back for about 75km. I must say, the new Orbea machine and the Zipp 404s made it hard to pay attention to the road in front of me. Found it very hard coming back up the mountain (quite unexpectedly as the ride wasn't particularly long), but realised with about 3km to go that my back tyre was almost completely flat (enough air to make it hard to notice). A top up with the pump got me home. I am getting tired of all these flat tyres, and hope that the more flats I have in training means I will avoid them during races.
Sun PM managed to get a swim in, only logging about 2.5 km, before taking Andeline into the kids pool for a bit of a swim.

Not a bad stretch of activity. Perhaps more intensity required over the next couple of weeks.

Day from Hell planned again for tomorrow, which is going to start on the right foot, as it is now almost 12am and I will be starting on 6 hours sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment